The University’s website is an important tool for communication and marketing strategies. The website promotes the University and provides accurate and up-to-date information in an accessible and attractive manner to the University’s audiences.
The University of Gondar’s official website is a collection of web pages and related contents which are identified by a common domain name called www.uog.edu.et and published on the University of Gondar web server. The website contains information about the University’s campuses, colleges, faculties, institutes, schools, departments, and administrative offices.
The purpose of this policy is to guide web publishing at the University of Gondar’s website.
This policy applies to the University of Gondar’s official website.
- The University website shall include the following but not limited to:
- The University portal which contains the informational and transactional university level e-services,
- Links between web pages of colleges, institutes, faculties, departments, and other University offices, and
- Pols, social media, and other useful external links
- All accounts used for web publishing shall conform to the University’s Account Management and Password Management policies;
- All web-related softwares must be updated with the latest released versions;
- All web contents must be viewed correctly on mobile devices;
- All web materials must adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and must follow World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C);
- All official pages shall use a similar template and font style, and shall be maintained and regularly updated by the responsible offices;
- The contents of all official pages must reside on the University’s web server;
- All official pages shall be accurate, well-written, concise, and free of spelling and grammatical errors;
- The contents shall be approved by the respective offices before it is posted;
- Each official page shall have complete information, active navigation link, and up-to-date information about the department or offices;
- Using the official website for commercial advertising is not permitted;
- Any link must be related to the University’s missions of research, teaching, and community service;
- Names used to represent the University must be official names recognized by the University of Gondar (e.g. “The University of Gondar” and “UoG”);
- To give the privilege for website/pages, the author or the responsible body shall sign a term of use to comply with this University’s ICT Website Policy;
- Websites that are created and managed by individuals or organizations and linked to the University’s official websites must be related to the University’s missions;
- The University of Gondar will not undertake a pre-approval or review of the contents of external websites that are linked to the University’s official websites;
- Any external page on the University’s Website that violates the University’s policies shall be removed from the Website immediately.
The ICT Directorate shall manage the University’s official website in collaboration with other responsible offices. The following offices will have roles and responsibilities on the official website:
- Manages the website technically (backing up, changing design when needed, use similar template across the university);
- Improves the website by reviewing the overall appearance periodically;
- Monitors and ensures the functionality of the website 24 hours a day and 7 days a week;
- Provides editorial and author privileges to Public Relations Directorate, Registrar, Library, Colleges, Institutes, Faculties, Schools, and other necessary offices (e.g. Research Centers);
- Protects the website from cyber attacks;
- Performs a general audit of the site (incomplete information, outdated, and invalid links).
Public Relations Directorate:
The Public Relations Directorate shall have the following responsibilities:
- Make all official pages up-to-date, specifically the official/front page
- Posts the daily activities of the University on the official website;
- Monitors the accuracy of any information posted on the main website and be responsible for any misinformation;
- Keeps track of statistical changes (e.g. number of programs, students, and staffs) and updates the website;
- Performs a daily audit of the website (e.g. inappropriate and incomplete information, outdated, and invalid links); and
- Monitors the feedbacks from the University social media pages and provides reports to concerned University offices and staff for improving the services.
The colleges/faculties/institutes/schools/directorates will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsibly receive and keep their website credentials,
- Create, update and manage web contents, and promote their website,
- Monitor the accuracy of any information, advertisements, events, or general information posted on their website,
- The staffs in charge of creating, updating, and managing the web pages are responsible for the misinformation.