Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) supports the development of technology-enhanced learning across online and face-to-face teaching environments. VLE assists in enhancing the students’ experience, supporting innovative teaching strategies, and building a digital capacity.
The VLE policy is designed to ensure that every registered student has online access to a standardized Open Learning Management System, online teaching tools, and learning resources.
This policy applies to all University staffs, students, and permitted guests who are using the University’s VLE for teaching-learning and research purposes.
- A standardized Open Learning Management System that embodies Learning Management System and online teaching tools shall be used across the University;
- All users of the institutional VLE shall comply with the Higher Education Intellectual Property Policy and the National Copyright Legislation;
- Any content provided in an electronic format shall be uploaded into the VLE module in compliance with the University of Gondar’s Intellectual Property Policy;
- As per the higher education responsibilities stipulated under the Data Protection Policy, student personal data shall not be stored in third-party hosted services unless approved by the concerned body of the University;
- The Directorate of ICT shall be responsible to periodically maintaining the VLE.
- Ensure standard course materials are prepared and uploaded to the VLE,
- Assure the staffs and students are using the VLE, and
- Ensure the learning content is uploaded to the the University’s VLE.
Academic staffs shall:
- Teach using the University’s approved learning-management systems, and
- Keep the approved learning-management account and email account information secure, and follow all the University’s privacy and confidentiality policies.
Students pursuing an online learning environment either within a campus or by distance learning will be required to consider the following:
- Read the course syllabi thoroughly and understand course expectations,
- Set a realistic schedule and ensure regular study time,
- Set goals and deadlines to meet assignment due dates,
- Organize study schedules, create an electronic or weekly calendar and set reminders,
- Stay in touch with the faculty and understand their preferences on how and when they prefer to be contacted via phone, text, email, online office hours, messenger, or skype,
- Plan and manage their time wisely to study for test/quizzes,
- Connect with classmates to create an engaging productive environment,
- Discuss their progress with faculty and keep track of deadlines and submissions.