Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics is closely involved in the educational program, support the mission of the College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar to provide research resources, training, and collaboration opportunities for academic staffs, health care providers, and the community. The need for well-trained biostatisticians and epidemiological and public-health scientists is ever increasing in the country and beyond. In University of Gondar, master of biostatistics, master of epidemiology and biostatistics, master of field epidemiology and PhD in Epidemiology and PhD in Biostatistics will keep conversant of such demands.
The purpose of this program is to produce a qualified biostatistician with technical competence to address public health problems of the country. The program will help students to move to a higher level academic research work; promote approaches based on academic integrity and professional ethics; ensures advancement in the field of biostatistics and make provision for the country’s needs in a skilled scientific workforce of the highest caliber; and produces students who can apply principles of statistical reasoning in addressing critical questions in public health, clinical and biomedical sciences.
• Minimum of first degree in statistics, mathematics, medical or health science related field, health informatics, psychology, sociology, economics and biology
• Two letters of recommendation from independent academic supervisors.
MPH in Biostatistics program requires two years which has two semesters of eighteen weeks.
MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Applicants to the postgraduate masters of public health in Epidemiology and Biostatistics should have a minimum of first degree in medical and health science related fields (such as statistics, demography, sociology, psychology, economics, management, and health informatics, etc) or with experience in health programs. Applicants must have two years of work experience after graduation before admission to the program. Moreover, applicants must submit three letters of recommendation one from their employers and two from independent academic supervisors for the purpose of academic referee. As the medium of instruction is English, applicants whose medium of instruction at secondary and/or higher education was not English would be required to produce a certificate of proficiency in English language.
• International collaboration and interaction with international teaching staffs.
• Collaboration with other universities in Ethiopia.
• Applied approach for courses with focus on practical implementation of methods.
• Courses are research oriented.
• Use the most advance statistical methods for data analysis.
• Use the most updated statistical software for data analysis.
• Community based research.
• Students from both masters collaborate in research projects.
• At each year, students are invited to a research week with international and local speakers in the spring.
• Master projects are community oriented and done in collaboration of the research center in biostatistics and epidemiology headed by Dr. Kassahun Alemu (Gonder university, Ethiopia) and Dr Adetayo Kasim (Durham University, UK)
Students life in Gondar University
The University of Gondar has created very good education and research environment for postgraduate studies. The library, the broad band internet service both wired and wireless, the experiences of instructors and hospitality of the university community are very comfortable to stay long and learn more.
Competent students will be selected by entrance exams. About ten students will be enrolled in the academic year.
The students can apply to the two programs through associate Registrar office of College of Medicine and Health Science, University of Gondar in Person up to .
Tel: +251 913399986
Contact person of the department:
Tel: +251 919 782422
Due dates for application:
By Augst 10, 2016