We aim to make the School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences one of the best schools in East Africa by the year 2020.
Our School is organized to provide quality education to postgraduate and undergraduates students, conduct problem solving health and biomedical research and render diagnostic preventive and curative community services.
The School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences has evolved recently through the integration of the departments of Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology. Our School currently consists of six departments and units, namely:
- Medical Microbiology,
- Medical Parasitology,
- Immunology and Molecular Biology,
- Clinical Chemistry,
- Hematology and
- Laboratory management and Quality Assurance
Teaching theoretical and Practical aspects of hematology, clinical chemistry, urinalysis, serology, clinical laboratory methods, introduction to laboratory, laboratory management, medical Microbiology, bacteriology, virology, mycology, immunology, molecular, and Parasitology to different categories of students in disciplines of infectious and Tropical Diseases, Medical laboratory Sciences, Laboratory Technology, Human Medicine, Health Officer, Nursing, Midwifery, Anesthesia, Environmental health, Occupational Health, Ophthalmic Nurse, Optometry Cataract Surgery, and Pharmacy.
We currently offer a B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory sciences through the regular, direct and advance extension programs. We also offer 6 postgraduate programs, namely:
- M.Sc. in Infectious and Tropical Diseases.
- M.Sc. in Clinical Chemistry
- M.Sc. in Hematology.
- M.Sc. in Medical Microbiology
- M.Sc. in Medical Parasitology
- M.Sc. in Immunology
We will also be offering a PhD program in Medical Microbiology in the near future.
The School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences is involved in rendering various community services ranging from clinical laboratory service to epidemic investigation and control and consultancies. We are also actively involved in various research projects of public health importance in collaboration with local, national and international institutes, and individuals. Our specific areas of research focus on infectious diseases and biomedical sciences with emphasis on TB, malaria, HIV, intestinal parasitoses, hospital acquired infections and other communicable and non-communicable diseases.
Our work is supported by 61academic staff members.
Our Partners and Collaborators
- Ethiopian Health and Research Institute (EHNRI)
- Armaeur Hansen Research institute (AHRI)
- Norwegian School of Public Health, Norway
- University of Tokushima, Japan
- University of Hokkaido, Japan
- Leipzig University, Germany
- University, Berlin Germany
- Leicester University, UK
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- I-TECH- Ethiopia
- American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- Liverpool School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
- Linkoping Institute, Sweden.
If you would like to learn more about our work please contact:
- Ato Wubet Birhan
- Job Title
- Dean, School of Biomedical and Laboratory
- Tel (office):
- +251 58-1117678