The Institute is committed to carrying out basic and applied research in order to better understand and resolve existing societal needs and problems. We widely disseminate our research findings and strive for the application of the outcomes of the research.
Major Research Areas
Our current research focus falls under the following themes:
- Infectious disease epidemiology
- Maternal and child health
- Environmental and occupational health issues
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Epidemiology of chronic and non communicable disease
- Health information system, health systems research and health management
- Health information technology and its application to health care system
Dabat Research Center
Our Institute also houses the Dabat Research Center. Established in 1995 the Dabat Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) seeks to provide accurate, timely and reliable information on the inhabitants of the Dabat district. Find out more about our work on the Dabat Research Center information pages.
Staff at the Institute of Public Health are actively engaged in a wide range of research activities. Learn about their most recent research work by visiting the Publications by IPH staff page.
To find out more about all our research work please contact the Director of the Institute of Public Health:
- Dr. Abebaw Gebeyehu
- Tel (office):