Community service forms the core of our work at the University of Gondar. Initially established to address the health needs of local people, we have maintained and strengthened our connection and commitment to serving our community. As we look into the future we seek to spread this commitment and become the country’s leading societal problem solving university.
Every year we provide funding to encourage innovative and effective community interventions. Our faculties also have a long and proud tradition of providing essential medical, legal, technical and social services to the community. Alongside the work of the various academic units we also have a dedicated team of staff coordinating the University’s community services work.
Our community service agenda offers a holistic approach to resolving the needs of community and offering a range of needs led interventions. These include:
- Capacity Building – of individuals, groups and/or organisations in the local community as well as staff in Research and Community Service
- Direct Services – including specialist, short term, long term or one off interventions
- Liaison - helping to link the community with necessary resources
- Donations – providing funding/support to the community
- Mobilizing – experts and technical support to address acute needs
- Advocacy – supporting community efforts to obtain resources or change policy
- Marketing – sharing experiences across different stakeholders
- Organizing – working directly with existing leaders and community groups to stimulate action
- Partnership – complementing local organizations in a joint effort
- Consultancy Services – providing assistance to communities requesting specific advice or technical assistance
We run a huge range of ongoing specialist direct services addressing a wide range of issues. Visit our Specialist Direct Services page to find out more.
We also provide annual funding within the University to encourage and nurture new solutions. Visit our Community Intervention Projects page to find out more.
If you would like to learn more about our other interventions please contact:
- Ato Ashenafi Alemu
- Job Title:
- Community Services Team Liaison Officer
- Tel (office):
- +251 588119069