The history of the School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences (SBMLS) is the history of the Department of Laboratory Technology and the Department of Microbiology, Parasitology and Immunology. The Department of Laboratory Technology was established as the laboratory department in 1954, in just the same year the Gondar Public Health College (GPHC) and Training Center (TC) was founded. The Department of Microbiology, Parasitology and Immunology was established in 1979/80 when the Medical School was opened. The School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences has evolved in 2010 by the integration of the two departments mentioned above (Department of Medical Laboratory Technology, and Department of Medical Microbiology, Parasitology and Immunology).
Currently, the school consists of five departments and one unit; Department of Medical Microbiology, Department of Medical Parasitology, Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, Department of Hematology and Immunohematology, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Unit of Quality Assurance and Laboratory Management.
The School offers undergraduate degree in Medical Laboratory Science with four programs (Regular, Direct, Advance and Post Basic programs), Six MSc postgraduate programs (MSc in Medical Microbiology, MSc in Infectious and Tropical Diseases, MSc in Hematology and Immunohematology, MSc in Clinical Chemistry, MSc in Medical Parasitology and MSc in Immunology) and two PhD programs (PhD in Medical Microbiology and PhD in Medical Parasitology. Additionally, we will have two programs of PhD in Immunology and MSc in Health Laboratory Quality Managentin the near future.
The School has been striving to enhance quality of education through establishment of different laboratories such as Microbiology laboratories (TB lab, Virology lab, Bacteriology lab and Mycology lab), Molecular Biology laboratory, Immunology laboratory, Medical Parasitology Laboratory, Hematology & Immunohematologylaboratories, and Clinical Chemistry & Urinalysislaboratories. As a pioneer school in the college of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, it has a continuous professional development center which provides training to capacitate knowledge and skill of the health professionals and academicians for the region and the country at large.
Our vision is to be one of the leading societal health problem-solving Institute in East Africa
- To produce skilled and knowlegalable Medical laboratory Science professionals with various fields of general Medical Laboratory Technologists, Medical Microbiologists, Immmunologists, Hematologists, Clinical Chemist, Medical Parasitologist and Laboratory Leaders.
- To contribute to the sustainable socioeconomic development of the nation through provision of societal needs tailored education in health
- To provide trainings to capacitate knowledge and skill of the health professionals and academicians for the region and the country at large.
- Conducting problem-based health and health related research and technology transfer
- Strengthening community engagement in promotion, prevention and curative health services.
Undergraduate BSc Programs
1. Regular Medical Laboratory Sciences
2. Directextenstion Medical Laboratory Sciences
3. Advance Medical Laboratory Sciences
4. Post Basic Medical Laboratory Sciences
MSc postgraduate programs
1. MSc in Medical Microbiology
2. MSc in Infectious and Tropical Diseases
3. MSc in Hematology and Immunohematology
4. MSc in Clinical Chemistry
5. MSc in Medical Parasitology
6. MSc in Immunology
1. PhD in Medical Microbiology
2. PhD in Medical Parasitology